Introductions, Blogging and Hunting

Hello everyone, my name is Kiera Janoski. I am a 28 year old Women’s and Gender Studies major living in Brown Hill outside of Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania. Cambridge is a really tiny town with a population of around 2,500 and Brown Hill is a small Amish and farming community about eight miles east of it. I’m a caretaker for my elderly grandmother who has Alzheimer’s and up until this point I have been working as a bartender and waitress since I was 17.

Looking at Feminist Philosophers the most recent posts are full of feeling and emotion, they showcase the beliefs that the authors believe in and are passionate about. This is something I want to be able to channel in my own blog. As I scrolled back further I can see that what led up to the end of this blog was just a great deal of re-posts, sharing of articles the authors liked and never even bothering to put their own spin on things or write how they felt about these issues, which was an instant turn off. Obviously, since this blog is for my class, I will not be doing that; but, if I were to write a blog down the line, that is something I would try to steer clear from. I feel like it could be really easy to get caught up in that, just sharing things other people write lessens your own workload and probably will get more shares, re-blogs and traffic as the original poster and sharer can see where their traffic is coming from and can support you.

deer photo

In my small community, we focus on giving back to the earth. It is a very grass roots community where most people rely on the vegetables they grew during the spring and summer to get them through the year. Everyone here goes hunting in the fall, no one can afford red meat if you don’t shoot it, skin it and package it yourself. Where I’m getting at with this is that my community is focused on living naturally, without all those preservatives, in a way that is environmentally friendly. Personally, I am incredibly passionate about only consuming meat from animals that have been allowed to live their lives without the inhumane conditions that the United States meat industry relies on. I think that is incredibly wrong to keep animals locked up in cages with their only purpose in life being someone’s dinner. I want to live bio-ethically and this is just the beginning for me.

This entry was posted in Introduction, Living Bio-Ethically and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Introductions, Blogging and Hunting

1. mlindholm says:

Hi Kiera,

First let me say kudos to you! Being a caregiver to someone you love who has Alzheimer’s is not easy.

It is refreshing to hear that you live in a place that is environmentally friendly, which I feel is missing from today’s society. I feel like we (humans) are the ones who are killing the planet and somewhat killing each other. I say this because there is a fad for everything; diet, fitness, fashion, etc. And each one of these industries have done something to destroy the environment.

I’ve always lived in the city but have a great appreciation for everything. Fashion is my way of self expression and I used to shop for new and unique clothing. However, these days I am very conscious of the environment so I recycle my clothing by giving to Goodwill, as well as shopping at second hand stores. I also, recycle other things in my home and make sure I conserve energy by doing simple things, like turning off the light when I leave the room, and walk instead of drive. I think every little thing counts! Eventually as time goes, I’ll be able to do more but for now, this is my small part.

Thank you for sharing your post, very interesting read:)

Mary

2. tbrand says:

Hello Keira,
    Wow…that’s the way I’d love to live. Growing and taking only what I need for sustenance. I find it pretty incredible that you live in the US, yet still can grow up this way. I was born in Michigan and now live in California, the 6th largest economy in the world. My brother and sister in law live much like your community. They have 180 acres and have lived the land for over 40 years. A beautiful, bountiful garden, they raise sheep and get eggs from their hens and milk from their goats. What a gift you’ve had living in the environment and giving back. You’re an inspiration. Thank you!

• kjanoski says:

I love it! I hope I can do so much more once I finish law school and find a place to settle down. My goal is to be able to raise pigs and chickens in a loving humane environment that I can then use to meet my family’s nutritional needs. 180 acres sounds amazing, but I grew up on 100 acres and I can’t even imagine trying to take care of all of that on top of working full time! Your brother and sister-in-law must be amazing people!

3. tmulholland says:

Hi Kiera,
    I’m impressed by your community and how they do their part to support a greener lifestyle. I agree completely that our meat sources in the United States is achieved inhumanly. The more I learn about how animals are treated for American consumption, the less animal products I consume. At this time I haven’t gone vegetarian or vegan completely, but do limit animal products to twice per week only. Good job in bringing this issue to the forefront in your blog.

• kjanoski says:

I always wanted to go vegetarian due to the treatment of animals by the meat industry, but I need my protein! I applaud you for being able to limit your meat intake so much!

4. Natalia Castillo says:

Hello Kiera,

it was interesting to read about what you guys do in Brown Hill, Pennsylvania. I was out there last year in Tobyhanna and Pocono and I loved the tranquility and beauty of the place! Of course, Tobyhanna is very different from what you’re describing, but I thought it was an amazing place. The deers walk on the street like they own it, something that I don’t see where I live. I have always lived in the city, so I’m always amazed by places like this.

• Natalia Castillo says:

In addition to what I said above, I am curious if you guys also use the vegetables and meat that you grow and hunt to sell it. In other words, do you guys only hunt for yourselves, or do you have local grocery stores where you can buy meat/vegetables that is packaged/grown by the local hunters? This would be so cool! I also read another comment that said that it’s incredible that you live in the US and are able to live like this, and I couldn’t agree more. I am surprised by your blog because I had never heard of any place in the US that does this. The US is such a fast-paced place that I would’ve never thought there was a community like this. Also, how do you keep the vegetables from going bad for an entire season?

• Kiera Janoski says:

Natalia,
        Not so much anymore. Corporations have put every small business out. What fires haven’t destroyed in my town, corporate America has. There are laws about selling the meat you hunt and package yourself so no one in my memory has ever done that. We raised pigs growing up and we did sell those, but I was young and never involved in it anymore than feeding and playing with the pigs.
        In the spring-fall though you will see pop up stands at the ends of people’s driveways with fruit and vegetables to sell and that’s where you really see small town America. There is rarely a person there, just the product, a sign with the prices and a money box and they’re kept on honor systems.